Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Three Muskateers | Alexandre Dumas

Well, I can now say that I have read The Three Muskateers, in it's entirety. I guess that it's best described as a romantic novel dealing with friends and ambitions.

I must say that my favourite part of the book was the corruption of Felton at the hands of Milady. I won't go any further, but the book was worth the read for that part alone.

I found it was strange that about 3/4 of the way through the book, Dumas stopped going back and forth between plots. He focused on Milady and her captivity until about a hundred pages later where she eventually wound up in the presence of d'Artangnon, Athos, Porthos and Aramis. Anyhow, I can see how Hollywood turned this story into a children's heroic tale... but I think it was slotted as such for lack of a distinct classification.

It would be interesting to note what others think the intended morale/audience was for this book. I'm still unsure of Dumas' intentions, and I doubt he's available to be asked. :)

No comments: