Saturday, July 22, 2006

Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide | Orson Scott Card

So I'm reading the Ender's Game series. First book I read in Venice while the 2nd and 3rd I have read recently.

In Ender's Game, I feel strongly connected to Ender when he played that video game that he never could win. The point is, he always thought he could win. He wanted to control the situation. I seem to enjoy attempting to control the situation against all odds. Maybe the secret is in relinquishing control. Letting your senses guide you. Maybe that is the answer to life... little to no investments and letting your senses take over.

In Speaker for the Dead, the entire concept was fascinating. Having one person speak about the dead's life, not as it was seen to everyone, but how it actually was. Probably one of the reason's I really like the movie, The Aviator so much. Now, were talking Hollywood here, and by no means does it truly compare, but you get my gist. Telling everything, even if it is hurtful. I hope someone that understands me tells everyone who I was when I die. I'm not sure that many people know. Maybe that's what this blog is about.

Xenocide was an interesting book, but not as good as the first two. Poor Orson Scott Card got bogged down in physics too much. He has a wonderful way of presenting both sides of an argument through dialogue, but the physics speak took away a little from the book. He has some amazing ideas, but the book was too much like a mathematical proof. Just do the math man, I don't want you to prove EVERYTHING.

Next book is Children of the Mind. I'm not that excited about it, given Xenocide... but I will push through it so I can get to Ender's Shadow, which I really want to read. Asimov did some beautiful work with his latest add-ons to the Foundation series and I have a feeling Card will too. Both experienced lulls towards the later part of their series. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Eclectic Indulgence said...

This review of Xenocide (book 3) is bank on:

With every book in Ender series it's becoming more complex and sophisticated. This book is full of very interesting mostly phylosophical (especially interesting on role of religion) and metaphysical discussions. The drawback is that it's much more difficult to read. It takes some effort (at least this was the case for me) to get to the end. Although the series started as quite typical sci-fi I can't consider it to be this genre anymore.

Chris