Saturday, August 19, 2006

Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, First Meetings in the Enderverse | Orson Scott Card

Well I completed the last books I had in the Ender saga.

Shadow of the Hegemon was truly forgettable. The book was about life after the Bugger War, and consisted about military strategy on Earth. As always, some interesting dialogue between characters but nothing with the pinash of the first two books, or even Ender's Shadow.

Shadow Puppets was about the relationship between Bean and Petra, two soldiers from Battle school. Book was slightly entertaining, but it was not a blow you away like Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Ender's Shadow. Just one of the novels you should read, if you're into the whole series.

First Meetings is a book for nerds. It gives you more background to the characters (ie: how one character would meet another). At first, I was disappointed that the first publication of Ender's Game (as a novella) was in this book, but after reading it, it gave me even more an appreciation for the novel. I think Card changed some characters and some important points. To me, that is useful knowledge. He created the bones first, but it's the flesh that he surrounded it with that morphed the book into a masterpiece.

So, I still have to read Shadow of the Giant, but I don't own it yet so it will take me a little more time to obtain a copy. I'm going back in time a little bit (but still on a war kick) to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemingway. It's time for me to get back to classic literature. Now that I have finally brought my books home, I can make decisions that seem right to me at the time. Reading the book that your mind feels ready for, in my opinion, is always helpful.

============
QUOTATIONS
============
"Binding yourself to another person and to the children you make together, that's life. And you can't do it if your life is centered on your ambitions. You'll never be happy. It will never be enough, even if you rule the world." -Shadow of the Hegemon, pg. 155.

"We're all tools in somebody's kit. But that doesn't mean we can't make tools out of other people. Or figure out interesting things to use ourselves for." - First Meetings In the Enderverse

No comments: