Friday, October 01, 2010

Book Beginnings | The Way of All Flesh

It must be Friday... which means it's time for Book Beginnings!  Here is the opening line from Samuel Butler's "The Way of All Flesh":

When I was a small boy at the beginning of the century I remember an old man who wore knee-breeches and worsted stockings, and who used to hobble about the street of our village with the help of a stick.

Not transcendent, but I like the imagery just the same.  I also like the fact that the sentence comes from the viewpoint of a child.  It is fascinating to me what one remembers as a child, because it's never necessarily the most important thing... but it's quite frequently something that adults have not given enough thought to... and it is always something that is important in its simplicity.

5 comments:

Pris said...

Just hopping through your blog! Love what I have seen so far can't wait to see more! Classics are my favourite and I am always trying to find more time to read them! I'm a new follower, check out my blog and follow back if you like!
Pris
www.benterudbookshelf.blogspot.com

The Great Catsby said...

Glad to have found another 'classics' reviewer. Looking forward to reading more!

Anonymous said...

So glad I found your blog via the "Hop." Like you, I founded a 'classics' book club many years ago - well, mostly classics, we were picking books each time from the Modern Library's "100 best novels of all time" list, so classic in terms of renown, but not necessary in terms of age. Sadly, it petered out after a couple years, but I still enjoy reading the good stuff.

Speaking of which, Butler's The Way of All Flesh is one of my all time favorite books, even if it wasn't such an easy read for me. I've read it twice. You might also like his book, Erewhon, which is quite different but still amazing.

-Jay

bibliophiliac said...

I'm so happy to have found a kindred spirit on the book blogger hop. I just became a follower--I'm looking forward to your future posts!

Elizabeth said...

Love your blog.

love your header and content.

http://silversolara.blogspot.com/