Friday, November 26, 2010

Book Beginnings | Tortilla Flat

It's Friday, and while I haven't started to read this work by one of my all-time favourites, John Steinbeck, I got antsy and did a quick google search to see if I could find the opening line and viola!
When Danny came home from the army he learned that he was an heir and owner of property.
I have no idea what this book is about, but now I'm one step closer.  I think this is a decent opening line, in that it paints a picture for the beginning of the story.  It's not really exciting or sexy, but I think it gets the job done.

Thoughts in the community?  General opinions of Mr. John Steinbeck?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm visiting from the blog hop. I love classics and so I'll be visiting you often to read your opinions!

*ೃ༄ Jillian said...

I can't say I'm a huge Steinbeck fan. I have 'Cannery Row' and 'Grapes of Wrath' on my list, so we shall see. :-)

Eclectic Indulgence said...

My recommendation is to skip Cannery Row. Grapes of Wrath is simply awesome... but nothing compares to 'Of Mice and Men' or 'East Of Eden'.

Anonymous said...

If you love Steinbeck, I believe you'll really enjoy Tortilla Flat. I read it immediately after reading The Grapes of Wrath because I just had to have more Steinbeck.

Happy reading!

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm a new follower. I really like classics (not all of them though). I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts/reviews. Hope you have a great weekend :)
Caroline @ Bon Bons and Reveries

Hannah said...

I am really looking forward to reading East of Eden. It has been a very long time since I have read any Steinbeck at all!

Mel u said...

hi stopping by from the hop-I like classics also and review quite a few-I am now happy to be a new follower of your blog

Chelle said...

Steinbeck's pretty much a genius. I've only read East of Eden and Of Mice and Men but loved them both. Good luck with your read! P.S. I found you through the Hop.