Friday, November 05, 2004

The World According to Garp | John Irving

I have just finished the book "The World According to Garp" by John Irving. Period. The book was, to speak simply and inarticulately, one of the best books I have ever read. It is definitely what would be referred to as a 'modern day classic' which I assume will eventually become a book spoken in the same likeness as "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger. As you all know, Salinger's novel is my favourite book of all time.

"The World According to Garp" touched me beyond belief. I quite honestly, was close to tears. At points, I was prone to fits of laughter. Some lines were spoken so eloquently that they made me appreciate the beauty of the english language, and of human thought. As far as I am concerned, our world is split into two categories: those that have been touched by "The World According to Garp," and those who have yet to read it. Quite simply put, you must read this book before you leave this earth.

"In the World According to Garp, we are all terminal cases."

2 comments:

Teacher/Learner said...

Totally agree that it's a must-read! I'm about to write a review for this--hope you'll visit soon & read it :o)

Eclectic Indulgence said...

After re-reading my passionate post (we can't consider this a review) nearly 6 years later, I am appalled that I included this work together with Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" - quite possibly too quick a reaction considering I don't remember the story as vividly as Salingers.

That said, I remember "A Prayer for Owen Meany" like I read it yesterday... I was thoroughly impressed with this work as well. The funniest book I have ever read.