Saturday, November 25, 2006

Lots o' books

So yesterday I got a little present in the mail from the US... directly from Mr. Orson Scott Card himself... a signed, 1st edition copy of "Shadow of the Giant" which is the last book in the Ender's Game / Ender's Shadow series (8 books). I still have a few non-Card books I have to finish before I get to it, but it's moving closer to the top of the list.

I have less than 300 pages (or maybe 200) left in The Three Muskateers. It's not the best book, but I can see how it was so popular back in the day. It's a lot less battling than I imagined, but more about the changing lives of the muskateers, political intrigue and mystery. It's an interesting read, but there seems to be a lot of... this guy gets money, this guy spends /gambles away all his money... and this guy drinks himself into a drunken stupor (these things happen quite frequently).

At work, I've been reading Hemingway's complete short stories. There are over 50 of them, including the popular "First Forty-Nine." There was a great one about a man hunting a lion... and about the power of fear, and how an inciting event can turn-off this sensation of fear. The second story I read was about a kid pretending to be a bullfighter, and not being afraid of moving as the bull came out him... some interesting tidbits about bullfighters, but not all that enlightening.

Anyhow, that's all for the books...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

You are a prodigious reader! I got your blog address from the Mississauga book club. I have read a collection of Hemingway short stories, I recommend “Hills like White Elephants” it’s so good. There’s this particular part that leaps out at you, when the woman says “Please” seven times, it’s so effective, and a great story.

Kevin
Byronic75@hotmail.com