Sunday, July 25, 2010

Movie Madness

Most of you who know me are aware that I have always been a large fan of the moving picture.  There were some months where I would watch 15 movies or more, including multiple films in a day.  In recent years, I've become less enamoured with most of the drivel that has come out of Hollywood and so now I'm down to about 3 movies a month.

I've been focusing a lot of time on the "top 100 movies of all-time", which of course is a difficult list to qualify.  I had been working on a list which combined multiple lists [when I get to my other computer, I will link to it], but I've probably been through about 70% of them [which include a lot of foreign films as well].  Most are difficult to find if you don't purchase them or have a subscription to an online service, so you really have to focus on the task.

What I've decided to do now, is to revisit some of the books I have read over the past three or four years with their movie versions.  In some cases, I have watched movies right after reading the books, but I usually find that I get really upset and end up pointing out discrepancies all the time.  The new approach is going to be watching movies after a significant time period so that I focus on re-enjoying some of the plot lines.  Will it ever be the same as reading the book?  No.  But I am curious to see how good some of the adaptations have been.

So, hopefully I will be posting a small review of each movie as I watch it.  Since I do belong to an online service, it's going to be largely based on what movies I add to the queue, which is now over 20 movies long.  Will keep you updated.

No comments: