Friday, December 17, 2010

Book Beginnings: Around the World in Eighty Days

After reading "A Journey to the Centre of the Earth" last month, I really wanted to read some more Jules Verne.  Sure, there was a fair amount of un-realism (I'm making up this word because I think it should exist), but Verne has a great way of taking you to places around the globe and making you feel as if you're on a journey.  In addition, he manages to bring in a lot of history from these places which intrigue me and usually cause me to do further research.  My version of "A Journey to the Centre of the Earth" happened to contain another book... "Around the World in 80 Days", so it was a natural progression for me to read this one next.

I'm still in the middle of it right now, but I wanted to share the opening line "Mr. Phileas Fogg lived, in 1872, at No. 7, Saville Row, Burlington Gardens, the house in which Sheridan died in 1814."  Very historical and factual based.  It sets a physical scene, but other than the really great name, it doesn't do much for me.  What do you think of it?

No comments: