Thursday, January 04, 2007

The end of a game: the shadow of a giant

Well... a suggestion two years ago by my good friend Nick led me to the novel Ender's Game. I was so impressed by it that I did not sleep very much in Venice because I was so busy reading this novel... every chance I could get.

There is something in Card's writing that is so touching. He lets you know what everyone feels and how their brains work... all the thoughts that go through their mind before making a decision. Also, all the emotions... Pain, Sorrow, Love, Happiness.

So, just over two years later I am up to date with Card and his series. I have read all four books in the Ender's Game series:
1. Ender's Game
2. Speaker for the Dead
3. Xenocide
4. Children of the Mind

All four books in the Ender's Shaddow series (a parrallel series... which was a moneymaker, but also a wonderful idea):

5. Ender's Shadow
6. Shadow of the Hedgemon
7. Shadow Puppets
8. Shadow of the Giant

...I've also read a little companion novel, with 4 short stories in it... called "First Meetings: Life in the Enderverse"

There will apparently be more novels dealing with the series... this quote from Amazon.ca:
"Card is planning to write 2 more "Enderverse" novels. One taking place between the end of this book and the start of "Speaker for the Dead" (ie. in the 3000 year gap) which stars Ender himself, and a much anticipated book taking place after "Children of the Mind"."

Anyway, I digress. This book was done so well, it made me forget about the poorer books in this series... book 3 (Speaker for the Dead), book 6 (Shadow of the Hedgemon) and book 7 (Shadow Puppets). The series was truly made by books 1, 2, 4, and 8. If you are not really a science fiction fan (I wasn't either), I'd implore you to give these books a shot. Also, no one should go through life without reading Asimov's Foundation series.

It took me 4 days of the new year to get through a book... so I'm definitely on my pace of a book a month... will let you know what next is in store. All the best, everyone.

Edit: One more thing... there is a movie coming out, based on these books.

Read the series before it comes out on the big screen. You never know what is lost in translation.

No comments: